Tuesday, August 20, 2013

vocabulary: fall #1

Expository: of the nature of exposition; serving to expound; set fourth or explain
Example: My teacher had asked his student to take these vocabulary words and write an expository short story with the correct definition.
composition: the act of combining parts or elements to form a whole
Example: The old man made a unique yard by the composition of the rusty antiques and the brand new pond in front of them.
Assuage: Make less intense
Example: After the girl looked at her failed pregnancy test, the thought of her future is assuage.
Decadence: The act or process of falling into an inferior condition or state.
Example: I've read that some people believe that the decadence of the Roman empire was internal.
Hackneyed: made common placeor trite.
Example: Dr Preston will look at my hackneyed examples soon.
Coalition: A combination or alliance, a temporary one between persons, fractions, States, ext.
Example: I started a coalition to start a protest against our school provided "food".
Transcend: To rise above or go beyond
Example: My goal this year is to transcend more educationally then I ever have.
petulant: Moved to or showing sudden, impatient irritation especially over some trifling annoyance.
Example: I was petulant to the pestering fly in my house.
lurid: Terrible intensity, fierce passion, or restraint.
Example: I drove past the lurid crime scene where the shooting happened last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment